What is a scholarship?
- Scholarships are money that a student gets from a college or organization.
- Scholarships are used to help pay for a student’s education.
What is the difference between a scholarship and a student loan?
- A student loan is money that a student borrows to help pay for classes.
- The student must pay back the money later.
- When a student receives a scholarship, they do NOT pay any money back.
What is the ESOL Annual Scholarship?
- The ESOL Annual Scholarship is only for students in the ESOL program at PCC.
- It provides money to help pay for ESOL credit classes at PCC.
Which students can apply for the ESOL Annual Scholarship?
- Students must have started the ESOL program at PCC in level 1-3.
- They must be currently enrolled in levels 4-7.
- They must have a C+ grade or higher in their ESOL classes.
How can I apply for this scholarship?
You’ll need to:
- Complete the online scholarship application. (You will need your PCC user name and password)
- Provide contact information (the names and email addresses) of two of your ESOL teachers who can write letters of recommendation for you.
- Write three essays on three given topics.
Can you tell me more about the essays?
- They must be no be more than 1.5 pages long, double spaced (this is about 350 words). But they can be shorter.
- The three essay topics are:
- Essay 1: What is your career goal and educational plan to meet this goal? What inspired you to choose this field of study and career?
- Essay 2: Describe a significant challenge or change that has occurred in your life in the last ten years. How did you respond and what did you learn about yourself?
- Essay 3: Describe something about yourself that you haven’t addressed already in your essays. Why is this important to you?
Can I get help with my essays?
- One of the ESOL teachers may be available to mentor you. They will be able to help with the application process. This includes coaching you on your essays.
- You can also get help with your essays at the Tutoring Center or Writing Center on your campus.
- See a sample student essay
If you would like to apply for the ESOL Annual Scholarship:
- Please email the contact person on your campus if you are interested.