Why choose Spanish at PCC?
Spanish class options
We offer first- and second-year Spanish in two formats:
- A 3-course sequence of 4-credit classes: SPA 101/201, 102/202, 103/203
- A 2-course sequence of 6-credit classes: SPA 150/250, 151/251
In addition, we regularly offer 1-credit conversation classes to accompany each course in the 3-course sequences.
Portland Community College Spanish classes feature:
- Computer labs for languages
- Course web pages and also online activities for extra practice at the free publisher website
- Instructors have masters degrees, native/near-native fluency and years of professional teaching experience – most instructors have lived and/or traveled extensively in Spanish-speaking countries
- Integration of speaking, grammar, writing, listening and culture at every level
- Language immersion with an emphasis on speaking skills
- A supportive and fun classroom environment
- Pair and small group activities during class every day
Degrees and certificates
|Award||Length||Financial aid eligible||Currently accepting students?|
|University transfer||2 years at PCC + 2 years at university|
What will you learn?
The skills acquired through learning Spanish language and culture will help build higher thinking skills especially through comparative studies of language and culture.
Practice your Spanish outside the classroom
In addition to dynamic classes, the PCC Spanish program boasts numerous opportunities to practice the language outside of the classroom. These include:
- Conversation exchange programs with native Spanish speakers
- Field trips to Spanish language theater performances
- Movie screenings
- Service-learning opportunities in the local Spanish-speaking community
- Special events and performances
- Study Abroad
What will you do?
If you speak Spanish, you can communicate with nearly 500 million people in the world!
Undergraduates who study Spanish can use their language skills for careers in:
- Civil service and government
- Customer service
- Horticulture and agriculture
- International business
If you aren’t sure which level of Spanish class to take, see the Spanish placement page.